Lake Jesup was named in 1837 after General Thomas S. Jesup, a prominent figure of the Seminole Wars. During that time, Lake Jesup was as far as the Steamboats could travel. From there people had to travel by wagon. The most traveled route was south to Orlando; that wagon trail is now known as Tuskawilla Road. By the 1880’s steamboats were carrying orange crops north from Lake Jesup, through Lake Monroe and up the St Johns River to Jacksonville. In later years the railroad was also used to transport crops from the area to market. The city of Winter Springs was not incorporated until 1972 and today is the largest city in Seminole County by land area. The charm of this city is seen throughout the area including the old downtown feel of Winter Springs Town Center. Built in 2002 it hosts 61,000 sq. ft. of specialty retail shops and office space.
Winter Springs Florida has a lot to offer:
Credit: City of Winter Springs, Florida
|1,732 SqFt home
in Country Club Village
|1049 W Pebble Beach Cir
Winter Springs, FL 32708
©2015 getorlandorealestate.com - all rights reserved. | Site Map | The Lake Mary / Heathrow Florida Real Estate Blog